The growth of electric and electrified cars continues in Argentina, although the speed that exists in other markets has not yet been reached. Furthermore, it still provides results with still very small volumes.
However, each time the offer is inevitably wider, as the evolution of the global industry moves along this path. And although the largest variety of electrified models are imported from countries other than Brazil or Mexico, the main trading partners, the majority of sales belong to those origins.
During 2023, in the country 9,601 hybrid and electric vehicles have been patented, with the vast majority of the former. This represents an increase of 21.3% compared to what was recorded in 2022, according to the report presented by the Association of Automobile Dealers of the Argentine Republic (ACARA).
Last year, 10 models and 3 brands debuted on the Argentine market offering hybrid or electric technology. This means that the entire proposal included some of them 16 brands that had 38 models for sale with at least 5 units patented throughout the year.
Of these models, the majority (75%) were imported from Brazil, since there is a free trade agreement with the neighboring country and no quota, as is the case with Mexico.
All models arriving from the Brazilian industry correspond to vehicles with conventional hybrid technology. At the moment no model with this system is produced in Argentina.
What are the leading brands
As for brands, Toyota It was the one that once again dominated the electrified market in Argentina with a share of 78%. The Japanese brand offers hybrid alternatives with two models that are among the most popular in the mid-range segment, which are Corolla and Corolla Cross.
appears behind ford, which last year ended up presenting two new hybrid models, the Maverick pick-up and the renewed Kuga, and two 100% electric ones, the Mustang Mach-E and the E-Transit, the van whose deliveries will begin this ‘year. The oval brand’s share among electrified vehicles was 6%.
The third step of the podium was occupied by Audi, which presents practically its entire range with gentle-hybrid technology. The ring brand holds 5% among electrified ones.
The models sold and those that will arrive
- Alfa Romeo: The new Tonale SUV will arrive this year, which has Mild-Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid versions. At the moment the arrival date is not confirmed.
- Audi: The German brand offers almost its entire range with a delicate hybridization system, more precisely the A4, A5, A6, A7, Q5, Q7, Q8 and RS Q8 models. Added to this are the 100% electric e-tron GT and the imminent arrival of the Q8 e-tron.
- BAIC: The Chinese company will present the EU5 Plus, a 100% electric medium sedan that delivers 218 horsepower and reaches a range of up to 500 kilometers.
- BMW: It currently offers mild hybrid technology and two products that stand out as the 330e and the X3 XDrive 30e, both powerful models with plug-in hybrid technology. And it will strengthen its electrified range with a 100% electric model: without official confirmation, it could be the iX2, recently launched in Europe too.
- Cherry: Another Chinese brand that is moving forward with electric vehicles. It will be with the presentation of the eQ1, a three-door city car already sold in other markets in the region. In Uruguay, for example, it has a battery that guarantees 301 km of autonomy.
- Coradir: The San Luis-based company, which assembles its cars with parts imported from China, has the 100% electric models TITO, TITA (in pick-up format) and CHIKI, the brand’s latest addition. Last year the company sold more than 260 copies.
- DS: The premium brand of the Stellantis group plans to launch the DS7 e-Tense mid-year, the plug-in hybrid version of the renewed medium SUV presented in the country in April 2023.
- ford: The oval company has one of the largest electrified ranges in the country. On the one hand, it has a wide variety of hybrid models, with the Kuga SUV and the Maverick and F-150 pickups. And, on the other hand, battery-powered vehicles are booming, with the arrival of the Mustang Mach-E and the e-Transit range.
- Haval: The Chinese brand marketed by the Car One group plans to import hybrid versions of its Jolion and H6 SUVs in the last quarter.
- Sling: The arrival of the new generation of its famous Civic is expected this year, which will be made exclusively with a hybrid version. This is expected to happen by mid-year.
- hyundai: The Korean company, which has the Ioniq hybrid in its range, has three electrified launches planned for the local market. The first should arrive mid-year, with the renewal of the Kona, and in the second half the renewals of the Tucson and Santa Fe will follow, in any case they will be hybrid.
- duck: During this summer it exhibited one of its next innovations, the Niro hybrid, although for the moment it has not anticipated the expected date for its debut on the local market.
- Earth rover: The English brand has just launched the new generation of the Defender, the 4×4 which is presented for the first time in its 110 plug-in hybrid version. As for the 2024 news, the new Range Rover Sport will arrive in the second half of the year , the SUV that will also be configured with plug-in hybrid technology.
- lexus: Toyota’s luxury division is one of those with the largest number of hybrid model options on the market. This technology is found in the UX, NX and RX SUVs and IS, LS and ES sedans.
- Mercedes Benz: The luxury company presented its first 100% electric car in our market, the EQA, last year and it is expected that the range will be expanded this year with two more examples, not yet released. Furthermore, it will continue to expand its range of models with mild hybridization.
- Nissan: The Japanese brand offers a version of the X-Trail SUV with extended range electric technology. It is the only model of this type in our market. He also has a battery-powered car, the Leaf.
- PeugeotTo the 3008 plug-in hybrid, the lion company will add its first 100% electric model in the country: it will be the 2008 battery version, originally scheduled for mid-year.
- Porsche: The Taycan stands out in the sports house’s range, a super-luxury sedan with a sporty character which is probably the most advanced electric car in the world. Depending on the version, it can have two engines and a power of up to 761 horsepower.
- RAM: Last year the pickup manufacturer began offering the 1500 Rebel, a truck with a mild hybrid system, to our market.
- renault: the pioneer of electric vehicles in the Argentine market, has prepared a large landing of battery-powered vehicles: the Kwid E-Tech, the Megane E-Tech and the Kangoo E-Tech will arrive, all this year.
- Toyota: The Japanese company is by far the one that leads the sales of electric vehicles in the country. It does this mainly with the hybrid versions of the Corolla and Corolla Cross, which arrive imported from Brazil. In addition, it offers RAV4.
- Volvo: The Swedish brand has launched the 100% electric C40 and XC40, which will be joined by the EX30, a compact SUV expected for the second half of the year. In turn, the XC40, XC60 and XC90 of the Recharge family offer plug-in hybrid technology.
Differences between technologies
There are five electrified propulsion systems available in Argentina today, of which four have a combustion engine and only two can be connected.
- Mild-hybrid or mild hybridization: A battery and generator are added to the combustion engine instead of the alternator. It allows energy to be recovered from decelerations and braking to assist the combustion engine and power other systems. It can reduce fuel consumption by up to 15%, at best. The car cannot move using electricity alone.
- Hybrid: another electric motor is associated with the combustion engine which alternates its operation to reduce consumption or combines it to increase performance. Its battery pack is recharged with the combustion engine or by exploiting decelerations. It moves only by electricity, but for short distances and at a reduced speed. Fuel savings in the city compared to a petrol equivalent can reach 30%.
- Plug-in hybrid: It works similarly to a conventional hybrid but has a larger battery. In this way, it provides an electric range of up to 80 kilometers, so daily fuel consumption can be zero, depending on the distance travelled. These batteries can be recharged by connecting them to an electrical network.
- Electric with extended autonomyor: its main engine is electric but is associated with a combustion engine that provides it with energy. It is unable to move its wheels and its only function is to power a generator to produce electricity. The option available in Argentina (Nissan X-Trail E-Power) does not give the possibility of charging the batteries by connecting them to the power socket.
- Electric: has only one or more electric motors. The energy it receives comes exclusively from the batteries, which can be recharged by connecting them to an electricity grid. Charging times vary depending on the vehicle and the power of the chargers.
Bestsellers of 2023
- Toyota Corolla Cross (hybrid): 4,509
- Toyota Corolla (hybrid): 2,696
- Ford Maverick (hybrid): 403
- Coradir Tito (electric): 218
- Audi A4 (mild-hybrid): 177
- Toyota RAV-4 (hybrid): 144
- Audi Q5 (mild-hybrid): 123
- Ford Kuga (hybrid): 106
- Mercedes-Benz C300 (mild-hybrid): 106
- Toyota C-HR (hybrid): 102
Ben Stock is a journalist working for News Rebeat, where he covers the automobile section. With a passion for cars and the industry, Ben brings insightful and in-depth reporting to his readers.