Alec Baldwin: A judge makes the deal to shoot on the set of Rust confidential

Share This Post

- Advertisement -

The judge in charge of the manslaughter case against the actor Alec BaldwinProducers and members of a production team linked to a fatal shooting on a New Mexico set have agreed to keep confidential the terms of a proposed legal settlement in the case in favor of late cinematographer Halyna Hutchins’ son.

- Advertisement -

The judge said the 10-year-old son’s right to privacy Halyn Hutchins waiving public disclosure obligations and ordered Monday that settlement documents and approval hearings be kept confidential in the civil suit in which Baldwin and other members of the film crew ignored gun safety regulations at the scene of the shooting. Rust before filming in 2021.

“What drives my decision is really the best interest of the child. And that’s one of the most compelling reasons to make a settlement confidential,” District Court Judge Bryan Biedscheid said in a videoconference hearing from the Santa Fe courthouse.

- Advertisement -
Technician Serge Svetnoy took this selfie with cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of

Technician Serge Svetnoy took this selfie with cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of ‘Rust’. photo by AFP

Baldwin, actor and co-producer of the film, was aiming a gun at Hutchins during a rehearsal on the film’s set outside Santa Fe when the gun went off, killing her and injuring the film’s director. Joel Souza. Baldwin and other defendants disputed the allegations of safety negligence.

“I am devastated by the loss of my friend and colleague, Halyna,” said the director, at the time, who had to be transferred to hospital following the tragic accident. On the night of the accident, actress Frances Fisher, who was part of the cast, reported via social networks that Souza had been discharged a few hours after being admitted to the treatment center.

Widower Matthew Hutchins filed a wrongful death lawsuit last year against the producers of Rust, including Baldwin, as well as film crew members with security responsibilities and an ammunition supplier. His son Andros Hutchins, who was 9 at the time of the shooting, is also a plaintiff.

The boy’s lawyers said on Monday that the confidentiality provisions were essential to protect his privacy and finalize a deal with the manufacturers of Rust.

Despite everything, the filming of the film will resume.  photo by AFP

Despite everything, the filming of the film will resume. photo by AFP

Terms of the settlement will be closed to third parties and will only be available to Rust producers who are being subpoenaed in the case, including weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. Many of those defendants objected that they knew nothing about the details of the settlement, even though its approval should end their participation in the wrongful death lawsuit.

widower and producer

Gutierrez-Reed and Baldwin also face manslaughter charges in separate court cases and have pleaded not guilty, with two weeks of evidentiary hearings scheduled for May.

Matthew Hutchins signed a proposed settlement agreement in October that paved the way for filming to resume Rust in Montana. Hutchins will now be one of the film’s producers.

Source: Clarin

- Advertisement -

Related Posts