The court gave him a good news for Alec Baldwin: The New Mexico State Attorney’s Office has decided drop the manslaughter charges for the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in October 2021 while filming the film Rust, which is being filmed again.
“We are happy with the decision the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic incident,” they said. In a statement, Baldwin’s attorneysLuke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
The New Mexico state attorney’s office filed two manslaughter charges against Baldwin in January over the death of Hutchins, 42, on October 21, 2021 when the actor filmed on the set Rust’s shooting a weapon loaded with lead bullets, something expressly forbidden in the shooting protocols. The film’s general manager, Joel Souza, was also shot but only sustained injuries.
According to the Hollywood star, when he took the weapon they told him it only had blank ammunition. also Baldwin denied pulling the trigger, claim disputed by many experts. If the prosecution was successful, he faced a possible penalty of 18 months’ imprisonment and a $5,000 fine. It is assumed that the out-of-court settlement it will be more onerous, even if they have not disclosed.
Person in charge of security protocol during the taping, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, was also charged with manslaughter, while assistant director David Halls, charged with delivering the weapon to Baldwin, accepted a charge of crime in a plea deal.
In March, the film’s producer and New Mexico authorities reached an agreement under which the company paid a $100,000 fine for the security breaches in the footage found in the fact-finding.
Just 18 months later and at another location, filming on Rust has resumed
The dropping of the charges against Baldwin comes as production resumes on the film Rust, 18 months after a shooting that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured the film’s general manager, Joel Souza.
The film’s production company, Rust Move Productions, announced in a statement that the filming will take place at the Yellowstone Film Ranch in the state of Montana, instead of the original New Mexico location. Baldwin – now without the charges against him – continues on the project as co-producer and as an actorthe producer specified.
He Husband by the late cinematographer, Matthew Hutchins, had presented last year at request manslaughter charges against Rust’s producers, including Baldwin, as well as film crew members with safety responsibilities and an ammunition supplier. Your son Andros Hutchins, who was 9 at the time of the shootings, he was also a plaintiff.
But in October, Matthew Hutchins signed a settlement agreement which paved the way for Rust to resume filming in Montana. Beyond the lawsuits, he is now also a partner with Baldwin: The deal opened the door for him to become one of the film’s co-producers.
It is believed that the Rust project needs to be terminated as part of and to administer such out-of-court settlements.
Charles Hurd is an entertainment journalist for News Rebeat. He brings a fresh and engaging voice to the world of pop culture, covering the latest developments in film, television, music, and more.