The cyclists were attacked this Sunday by a swarm of hornets. A man has been placed in absolute emergency after being stung more than fifty times. If this event is extreme and quite rare, it can raise concerns. Here’s how to react in the event of a hornet sting.
The hornet is a hymenoptera, like bees, wasps or bumblebees. However, it is larger and above all it can sting several times because, unlike the bee, it does not leave its sting in our skin. The hornet can also be a bit more aggressive, especially if it is looking for food or feels threatened near its nest.
The reaction usually goes away within a few hours.
Therefore, hornet stings deserve special attention. First, in case of a bite, “disinfect it with soap and water, then apply an antiseptic solution,” recommends the Health Insurance site. Then, “apply ice wrapped in a cloth to the bitten area” and “take an analgesic (paracetamol) in case of pain.”
Generally, the reaction disappears within a few hours, but “it is usually more important in the case of a hornet sting that has a long stinger that allows it to inject the poison directly into a glass,” completes ameli.fr.
A danger in case of multiple bites
“The dose is the problem,” explains Jean-Pierre Thierry, BFMTV’s health consultant. In fact, in the case of Sunday’s attack, the cyclists were bitten several dozen times, which explains their hospitalization.
A large number of bites “result in the injection of a significant amount of venom.” “The more bites there are, the more symptoms can be significant,” warns Health Insurance. In case of symptoms, you should contact a doctor or the emergency room.
A risk of edema
Complications can also occur depending on the location of the bite. “A sting on the face (eyelids, lips, etc.) or on the neck, mouth or throat can quickly lead to a large edema”, details Health Insurance. This swelling can cause shortness of breath with, in the most severe cases, life-threatening.
Finally, some people may be allergic to the poison and therefore react more strongly than others. If a bite causes significant symptoms such as difficulty breathing, significant swelling, dizziness or even loss of consciousness, “you should go directly to a pharmacy or a hospital,” Bertrand Dufour, manager of the Loire Guêpes company, a specialist in destruction, explains to BFMTV. of nests.
Source: BFM TV