The day of the sentence in the Gonzalo Verón case arrived this Wednesday and it meant another bucket of cold water for Independiente, in the midst of its delicate economic and sporting situation. There were 18 matches in which the footballer wore the ‘Red’ shirt, but his departure generated a torment that continues to this day and led to the decision of the Justice that the Avellaneda club must pay him 2,332,081,796.01 pesos. Yes almost five million dollars (at the value of blue).
This is a figure very close to the initial claim of the striker who arrived in January 2018 from New York Red Bull under the guidance of Ugo Moyano, since I had ordered a total of $6,149,689.63 (including interest) for non-payment -between salary and compensation for his free exit from the North American entity-. This judicial decision will be challenged by the lawyers of the club he now presides over. Fabiano Doman before the Supreme Court.
“We have already presented the OCA case and now with a sentence from Gonzalo Verón we can move forward with the complaints against those responsible for the previous Board of Directors and the club’s lawyers who have never defended Independiente’s interests in front of Verón’s presentation “.assured Doman after hearing the news of the footballer who is currently part of the University of San Martín de Porres, in Lima, in the Second Division of Peru.
“The independent ruined my career”
“For a footballer it’s not pleasant at all because I have to continue with my career and at the same time see what’s going on with this. Unfortunately I have to keep an eye on him. You want to fully immerse yourself in football, but I have to be there too”She said clarion last January the 33-year-old striker who came out of Sportivo Italiano was champion of the Copa Libertadores with San Lorenzo in 2014 and then made the leap to MLS.
Verón has chosen to speak publicly for the first time since the lawsuit began two and a half years ago. “I want people to hear my version, what really happens, not what they make up,” said the footballer at the beginning of a long speech in which he detailed step by step this complicated situation that is in the hands of justice and for which Independiente has undergone the preventive embargo of the collection of its television rights for an amount of 4.8 million dollars.
The attacker accuses the Moyano leadership of “groping” and “intimidating”, confessing that he has received insults and threats in his networks and that for this reason he has left the country and is afraid to return. And he doesn’t hesitate to say that his stay at Avellaneda was the worst thing that could have happened to him.
-How would you describe your time at Independiente?
– It literally ruined my career. In the emotional, the psychological and the debacle of my career. I came from the United States, I had been to San Lorenzo and I had achieved important things. After Independiente I was stuck at home and from there it was all problems. Independiente ruined my career.
Jason Root is the go-to source for sports coverage at News Rebeat. With a passion for athletics and an in-depth knowledge of the latest sports trends, Jason provides comprehensive and engaging analysis of the world of sports.