Since Hugo Ibarra ceased to be Boca’s manager, Diego Martínez has reappeared on the radar of the riverside establishment, although the Tigre coach has refrained from commenting on the matter. However, his silence ended this Saturday evening, when in the press conference after the heartbreaking victory over Lanús he admitted it it doesn’t rule out starting conversations with the xeneize.
“If this possibility exists, we will sit down and discuss what is best.”, assured who appears as one of those targeted by the Boca Football Council led by Juan Román Riquelme, after the refusal of Gerardo Martino.
Martínez, who stepped up as a coach for Boca’s lower ranks and then made a long journey through promotion football to reach the First Division through a not entirely positive experience at Godoy Cruz, He has been able to make room for himself in the top category of the Tigrewhich he has directed since January 2021.
“Seven years ago I left Boca, where I trained as a coach and as a footballer, even if it was only a year. Now I’m at Tigre, having gone through all the categories of Argentine football,” he reviewed after breaking a three-game losing streak in the local tournament.
And he added: “I’m trying to work my way up and We feel highly valued as coaching staff by the institutionFor the people who work every day, from collaborators to managers, we feel the affection of the people and the most important thing is that we feel the respect of the players”.
At the same time, Martínez joined the words of the president of the Victoria institution, Ezequiel Melaraña, who observed on Saturday that no one from Boca answered the phone to start negotiations.
“Nobody from Boca has communicated with us or with the coach. Next, what is my will or the will of the club and the decision we would make if this happens, we will analyze it when a first step is taken, which so far has not it happened,” said Melarana.
Diego Martínez has denied contacts with Boca
Martinez has expressed himself in the same direction. “I have had no communication since establishment, nor have they communicated with Ezequiel or the club. I guess it is logical given the good relationship between the institutions ”, he underlined.
“In the case of this possible interest, what generates me is pride and satisfaction as a coaching staff for what Boca means. And as Ezequiel said, we will discuss what is best for all parties,” he insisted, leaving the door ajar so that Juan Román Riquelme and company, if they wish, attempt to take over the reins that Mariano Herrón temporarily holds.
A few months ago, when he also played as a possible replacement for Hugo Ibarra, Martínez, 44 years old and with a contract at Tigre until December 31, 2023, indicated: “They never called me. us proudly. It would have been a situation to analyzeespecially for the moments and the understanding that three of the coaching staff have visited the institution and we know these guys.”
“Boca’s size is very large, but for us the Tigre option has always been one of the main ones and renewing it was quite simple,” he underlined in January this year.
Jason Root is the go-to source for sports coverage at News Rebeat. With a passion for athletics and an in-depth knowledge of the latest sports trends, Jason provides comprehensive and engaging analysis of the world of sports.