Victims transported to hospital… Both are in stable condition
Shooting incidents sharply decreased during the COVID-19 pandemic
The New York Times (NYT) reported on the 28th (local time) that the New York Police said that a 17-year-old teenager and a man in his 40s were attacked by an assailant on a moving subway in New York, USA.
According to the police, the shooting occurred on the northbound C train entering the Ralph Avenue station of the New York subway at around 5:30 pm on the 28th.
In the shooting, a 17-year-old was taken to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan with a gunshot wound to his right hand, and a man in his 40s was taken to Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn with a gunshot wound to his left ankle, police said.
Both people are said to be in stable condition.
The NYT reported that it is unclear whether the suspect who fled the scene of the incident and the victims knew each other. The police explained that the suspect has not yet been arrested and that investigations into the motive for the crime are ongoing.
According to data from the New York Police Department, shooting incidents in New York City, which surged during the COVID-19 pandemic, have declined since last year.
As of November 26, the number of shooting incidents in New York this year was down 25% compared to the same period last year. Additionally, the number of shooting victims decreased by about 28%.
It is extremely rare for shootings to occur on public transportation in New York, such as buses or subways. There were five shooting incidents on public transportation in New York this year, compared to nine last year.
However, as violent crimes continued last year, including a 48-year-old man being shot dead by a gunman on the Q train during the holiday season and a shooting incident on the N train during rush hour, New Yorkers have been left questioning whether the subway is safe, the NYT reported. .
Most recently, on a weekend in January, a 34-year-old man was attacked on a moving subway train through Manhattan. The man, who suffered a gunshot wound to his torso, is said to be in stable condition after being taken to hospital.
Mark Jones is a world traveler and journalist for News Rebeat. With a curious mind and a love of adventure, Mark brings a unique perspective to the latest global events and provides in-depth and thought-provoking coverage of the world at large.