Well-known pianist and conductor Daniele Barenboim has canceled a concert at the Monte Carlo Opera due to the effects of a serious neurological disease from which he suffers, the opera announced on Wednesday.
Barenboim regretted the cancellation in a message to the public: “Despite my best efforts, I have not attained the muscular strength to perform piano recital programs.”
Opera director Cecilia Bartoli said Friday’s concert was planned as a tribute to Barenboim’s 80th birthday, which was celebrated on November 15. Violinist Maxim Vengerov will replace it with music by Beethoven, Franck and Tchaikovsky accompanied by pianist Roustem Saitkoulov.
a neurological disease
Last year in Barenboim he was diagnosed with the illness which forced him to step down as music director in January of the Berlin Staatsoper, after three decades in office.
The 80-year-old musician, born in Buenos Aires, has moderately resumed his activity as a conductor and recently stressed that his health had improved a lot in recent weeks. He conducted three concerts at La Scala in Milan and two with the Staatsoper (Berlin State Opera) last month.
He said he was sorry to cancel, but added that, with his health improving, “I’m going to return to the Opera de Monte Carlo as soon as possible, both as pianist and conductor.”
The news of his illness arrived in October, when he said he would “step back from some theater activities” after announcing he had been diagnosed with “a serious neurological disease”.
“It is with a combination of pride and sadness that I announce today that I will be retiring from some of my stage activities, especially engagements, for the next few months,” she posted on her Instagram account.
In a message written in English and German, the musician specified that his health “has deteriorated in recent months”.
“I have been diagnosed with a serious neurological disease,” confirmed Barenboim, who announced that he will now focus on his “physical well-being as much as possible.”
“Music has always been and continues to be an essential and lasting part of my life,” said the pianist in his reflection posted on his Instagram account.
He said in turn: “I have lived my entire life in and through music, and will continue to do so as long as my health permits.”
“Looking back and forth, I am not only happy but deeply fulfilled,” he closed his statement as a corollary.
Charles Hurd is an entertainment journalist for News Rebeat. He brings a fresh and engaging voice to the world of pop culture, covering the latest developments in film, television, music, and more.